Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Like a Ton of Bricks...

What a ride! Randy sent an email last Monday, over-thought Tuesday-Friday, met up with the team for a hike and ride Saturday-Sunday, Randy called Monday giving me the go ahead. This opportunity is once in a lifetime…and I couldn’t be happier. When contemplating the decision about exhausting myself and living on very little sleep for 10 days, several factors came into play; time, money, ability, crapping in a bag and carrying it…hell, could I even stand these people?

It was very fortunate that I was able to fly into Rapid last weekend to meet Gary, Paulette and Randy. Lisa was in PHX, but I’m assured we will communicate very well. I’m told she is a wordsmith, like myself, which is important in PQ=) After the first couple of miles hiked, I knew that Gary and Paulette where my kind of eggs. Gray is very intelligent, humble and a pervert. Paulette is the same…but she likes better music. It will be nice training with Randy as well, although he will not be competing by our sides, its nice to know he has our backs. He is one of the most generous people I’ve every met and I couldn’t think of a better team director.

This will undoubtedly be the hardest athletic event I have ever done. Harder than all the road races, marathon mtb races, and 24 hour events combined. Just to show how hard this event will be, I look to the statistics…no “home team” has ever completed PQ. When I asked Gary about this, he simply said “It’s Fucking Hard.” I’m most worried about foot care and the lack of sleep. Riding a bike is second nature, I can run and hike all day, caving and climbing I can learn, but I don’t know how it will all come together after my feet are turned to hamburger and I’m seeing the Virgin Mary dancing with a tree. But it’s going to take more than that for me to THINK about quitting!

How's that for motivation...see you in March?
-jmk

No comments: